I’m back to perusing the Norwalk newspapers of one hundred-ten years ago. Today, an article in The Norwalk Daily Reflector issue for Wednesday, February 27 caught my eye. It had nothing to do with the Norwalk High School Class of 1907, but instead about a fire in nearby Lorain, Ohio.
Last month, I posted about house fires in Olena Township, near Norwalk, and in Toledo. Both were started by careless smoking, the former was a close-call, the latter fatal. I don’t know the cause of the fire in Lorain that is the subject of today’s post, but I do know that it was another close call–really close!
At 1:30 a.m. the previous morning, Mrs. E. Gordon (no first name, of course) and her two babies were sleeping in their cottage at 332 West 5th Street (near the present-day post office). No mention of the whereabouts of Mr. Godon.
Mrs. Gordon woke from a deep slumber to find her youngest child pulling at her. The room was full of smoke. Grabbing that child and her sibling, the woman fled the house. She must have run through the dining room, where the fire had started, because she emerged from the house with her clothes in flames. Neighbors, roused by her screams for help, extinguished them.
Not only is this an exciting story, it is has a personal note for me. The Gordon home (which does not now exist, of course) was only a mile-and-a-half from where my family lived during my elementary school days. I know the terrain, you might say.
Sources: “Family Saved by the Baby,” The Norwalk Daily Reflector, February 27, 1907, page 1, column 6.