This genealogy of the Taylor ancestors of Lucy Preston, wife of Frederick Wickham, is an excerpt from the transcription of a handwritten notebook I discovered in my grandmother’s papers. The family history in this notebook was the work of two women, Agnes Caroline Wickham and her daughter, Harriott Benedict Wickham Barton (my grandmother), who separately researched and made entries in it over a period of seventy years. Agnes Wickham wrote roughly half of the entries in the notebook from 1909 to 1915. In 1915, she gave handwritten copies of her work to each of her five children: Eleanor, William, Lucy, David and Harriott. Harriott continued her mother’s work off and on for the next sixty years, adding entries as late as 1977.
I. Abraham Taylor; married Mary – before 1718(?) Abraham possibly son of Abraham & Mary (Whittaker) Taylor; married Sarah about 1706 – had 2 children (Abraham & Samuel) born in Concord, then moved away, (2) Mary.
III. Timothy, born 1754 in Merrimac, N.H.; died 1851; married Esther, daughter of Benjamin and Mary (Lovewell) French – she was born in 1757; died July 1, 1843 in Norwalk, Ohio. Timothy served in the American Revolution as a volunteer from Hillsboro County; came to Ohio in 1819; died at Norwalk and buried in Episcopal cemetery. Timothy Taylor (1754-1851) is among the volunteers from Hillsboro County who served in the Revolution. Born in Merrimack New Hampshire (Dunstable); died in Norwalk, Ohio. (1)
1. Esther, born June 19, 1781; died September 3, 1826.
IV. Esther, born June 19, 1781 at Merrimac New Hampshire; married Samuel Preston; died September 3, 1826.
(1) Volume 26: List of D.A.R. No. 25130. M.W. Kellogg. His name is also in “list of Revolutionary Soldiers from Merrimack” in History of Hillsborough, N.H. page 532.
[below is from Preston Genealogy Page]
V. Samuel, born June 24, 1778 at New Ipswich, New Hampshire; married Esther, daughter of Timothy Taylor and Esther French of Merrimac, New Hampshire; died March 3, 1852 at Norwalk, Ohio. (1)
1. George Albert, born July 16, 1805; died January 14, 1815.
2. Catherine, born March 12, 1807; died April 15, 1818.
3. Charles Lauris, born July 23, 1812; died January 18, 1815.
4. Lucy Bancroft, born March 27, 1814; died January 19, 1897.
5. Charles Albert, born January 22, 1816; died June 14, 1868. Had daughter Nellie, born April 1860 & son Charles – both went to live in Denver. Charles & wife died young & “Cousin Nellie” brought up his children (Mignon Bee & Lucy) Mignon’s daughters are Mignon Pearl & Jo Lytton of Colorado.
VI. Lucy Bancroft Preston, born at Nashua New Hampshire March 27, 1814. (1)
(1) History of the Western Reserve, p. 1690).
NOTE: Agnes and Harriott cited their sources in the margins of original notebook. I included these citations as footnotes, attempting to keep them as close as possible to where they appear in the original notebook.
I would appreciate critiques and corrections of this genealogy. Please comment below. Thank you.
© 2006, 2009 by David W. Barton. All rights reserved